The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act adopted in November 2021 amends the Public Utilities Regulatory Policies Act of 1978 (PURPA) by requiring that certain Federal standards must be considered by state regulatory authorities and qualifying non-regulated electric utilities, including Flint EMC. The new law provides that Flint EMC shall consider the following:
- Demand-response practices
- Each electric utility shall promote the use of demand-response and demand flexibility practices by commercial, residential, and industrial consumers to reduce electricity consumption during periods of unusually high demand.
- Each State regulatory authority shall consider establishing rate mechanisms allowing an electric utility with respect to which the State regulatory authority has ratemaking authority to timely recover the costs of promoting demand-response and demand flexibility practices in accordance with subparagraph (a).
- A nonregulated electric utility may establish rate mechanisms for the timely recovery of the costs of promoting demand-response and demand flexibility practices in accordance with subparagraph (a).
- Consider measures to promote greater electrification of the transportation sector, including the establishment of rates that:
- promote affordable and equitable electric vehicle charging options for residential, commercial, and public electric vehicle charging infrastructure
- improve the customer experience associated with electric vehicle charging, including by reducing charging times for light-, medium-, and heavy-duty vehicles
- accelerate third-party investment in electric vehicle charging for light-, medium-, and heavy-duty vehicles
- appropriately recover the marginal costs of delivering electricity to electric vehicles and electric vehicle charging infrastructure
Please take notice that hearings on these issues before the Flint EMC Board of Directors will be held on Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 10 a.m. in the auditorium at Flint Corporate Headquarters, Reynolds to consider the above standards and their application to Flint EMC.
Procedural rules for participation and/or intervention in the hearing process can be obtained upon request at the Reynolds office or by clicking the blue button below.